It can be quite difficult when you find someone near to you is addicted to alcohol. You may find it very difficult to approach them as they are reluctant to talk about it. However, the fact that they are killing themselves can’t hold you back any longer. You need to talk to them and if required be strict.
There can be various reasons for you to hesitate; however, the reasons for talking to them about it are more and overweight the previous ones.
Here are some of them:
- You worry how often or how much they drink
- You justify their drinking habits
- You have been embarrassed or hurt by your loved one while they were drinking
- The fact that they are spending a lot of money on alcohol concerns you
- Their behaviors, while they are drunk, makes you feel helpless
- You know they are slowly but sure heading towards self-destruction
No matter how difficult the situation might be; if you see one of your loved ones is addicted to alcohol, you need to step in.
You can also read this blog here How Can You Heal Your Body During Drug Addiction Recovery?
What can you do to help him?
As a friend or well-wisher, there are lots of things which you can do to help them come out of this situation. Here are a couple of things which you can do:
- Talk to them: This is the first thing that you need to do. You need to talk to them as much as possible and make them aware of the consequences of drinking. The chances are quite high that they might get defensive; however, you need to be persistent and maintain the cool.
- Be Friendly towards them: This is one thing that you need to be very careful of. While you are talking to them, you need to be very friendly and approachable. You must make them feel that they can fall back on you.
- Convince them to quit alcohol: This is the most important thing to do. You need to have the conviction in you which would convince them to quit alcohol.
- Suggest remedies: There are different ways which can help you get rid of alcohol addiction. Do a bit of research and insist them to start following them.
- Help them: This is where you need to be even more caring and compassionate. You need to help them in every possible respect. If they are really trying hard, in that case, you need to keep on encouraging them.
- Rehab Centre: This has to be the final option. If nothing works out, then you must convince them to visit a rehab center. It is in this place where he/she will receive the care and treatment of experts that would help him/her to overcome the addiction.
Make sure that you remain by their side throughout. They would need someone for mental support and strength.